The Company Program offers students a chance to develop their own business as an extracurricular activity. They are coached by business consultants over 23 weeks throughout all stages of creating and running of their business up to the point of liquidity (business plan, financing, human resources, production, sales, etc.)
9155 Rue St-Hubert, Montréal, QC H2M 1Y8
2000 Rue Sainte-Catherine O, Montréal, QC H3H 2T3
3200 Chemin de la Côte-Sainte-Catherine, Montréal, QC H3T 1C1
780 Boulevard Dollard, Outremont, QC H2V 3G5
475 Boulevard de l’Avenir, Laval, QC H7N 5H9
900 Rue Riverside, Saint-Lambert, QC J4P 3P2
École secondaire de la Magdeleine
1100 Boulevard Taschereau, La Prairie, QC J5R 1W8
École secondaire Ozias-Leduc
525 Rue Jolliet, Mont-Saint-Hilaire, QC J3H 3N2
6 Rue de la Vieille Université, Québec, QC G1R 5X8
Collège de Lévis
9 Rue Monseigneur-Gosselin, Lévis, QC G6V 5K1
This program is also offered directly in the curriculum in some schools, with instruction by teachers and volunteers from the business community.
Module 1 – Starting off on the right foot
- Team standards
- Being creative and innovative
- Coming up with ideas for products or services
Module 2 – Defining the Project
- Team building
- Feasibility and market studies
- Company name, mission, and objectives
- Creating a prototype (competition)*
- Pricing the product/service (break-even point)
- Issuing shares
Module 3 – Building the Business
- Developing leadership skills
- Responsibilities of the executive team
- Making a job application form
- Administering meetings
- Opening a bank account
- Developing a business plan
- Understanding financial statements
- Preparing for board meetings
- Creating a logo (competition)*
- Presentation – sales pitches (competition)*
Module 4 – Managing Operations
- Business ethics
- Understanding the law
- Running the business (production, communication, information technology)
- Quality assurance and successful companies
- Preparing annual reports
- Winding up the company
* Students are also given the chance to participate in additional activities including presentations made at businesses, simulated stock trading, an entrepreneurship conference, a trade fair and an awards gala.
With the support and guidance of business teachers and volunteer advisors from the local business community, the JA Quebec Company Program gives participating students the knowledge to organise and operate a real business. Students learn about the risks and rewards that come with owning a business and learn how to build positive relationships with the community.
In operating their business, participants sell shares, produce and market a product or service, and appoint a management team that best suits their company. They also learn to maintain and analyse financial records to help them establish and monitor production and sales goals throughout the program.
On top of the mentorship they receive from business advisors while creating their company, students may also participate in additional activities where they can develop other skills.
- Presenting their project in a business setting to receive constructive criticism.
- Participating in a stock market simulation.
- Participating in a trade show where they sell their company’s products.
- Participating in the annual JA Quebec young entrepreneurs conference, the largest francophone conference in North America, dedicated to young entrepreneurs aged 16 to 18, which offers them the opportunity to participate in stock market simulations, team-building activities, and friendly business plan development competitions.
- Participating in the end-of-year gala, which recognises outstanding students.
- Discover the risks and rewards of starting a business
- Systematically solve actual business challenges
- Demonstrate the importance of ethical standards in business
- Foster positive relationships between youth and business communities
- Learn about incorporation and capitalise by selling shares
- Impart understanding of teamwork and responsibility
- Produce and market a product or service
- Gather data, evaluate alternatives and develop a plan
- Make effective sales pitches and presentations
I loved the experience of creating a real business! I learned so much and realised that I want to pursue management studies and become a business owner.
Students leave this program more grown up than when they began. For many of them, it’s an opportunity to make a career choice and to determine the course of studies they will pursue. The impact is so positive! I think all Quebec youth should take part!
This program is extraordinary for young people! They are creative and dynamic; it’s stimulating to be able to help train the next generation.
Are you a teacher or school principal? Are you a professional and want share your experience with young people? Does your company want to help prepare the professionals and business leaders of tomorrow? We offer you the opportunity to give local students a unique experience and help the reach their full potential.
For any questions about our Company Program, please contact Maude Rhéaume, Company Program Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 514-285-8944, ext.103.